Before you understand what TRUE PRAISE is, you need to understand what PRAISE is.
According to the dictionary, the definition of the word PRAISE is to EXALT, ENHANCE, GLORIFY.
There are at least seven words in the Bible that can be translated from Hebrew as praise.
We highlight three of these words here:
The word "yadah", which means "to revere or worship (with outstretched hands)".
The second word is "zamar", which means "to play and sing the song with strength, vigor, enthusiasm and feeling".
And the third is word“halal” (which is the root of the word for hallelujah), which means “celebrate with words, speak with enthusiasm about something or someone”.
TRUE PRAISE COMES FROM THE DEEP OF HEART AND SOUL and transmits words and feelings so true that the person who praises feels indebted to God, for not being able to express through words, what is inside him, that's how strong the feeling is inside him at that moment.
Praising does not mean simply singing. Singing is just one way to praise God.
In the Bible there are several ways used to praise God:
• WITH PSALMS, WHICH WERE SINGING. Psalm 138:1 I will praise you with my whole heart: before the gods will I sing praise to you.
Isaiah 12:5 Sing to the Lord, for he has done glorious things; let this be known to all the world.
• WITH DANCES. Psalms 150:4 Praise him with the tambourine and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs.
• WITH MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS. Psalms 150:5 Praise him on the loud cymbals: praise him on the high sounding cymbals.
• WITH HOLOCAUST. Leviticus 1:3 If his offering be a burnt sacrifice of the herd, let him offer a male without blemish: he shall offer it of his own voluntary will at the door of the tabernacle of the congregation before the LORD.
• WITH OFFERS AND TITHES. Numbers 18:26 Thus speak to the Levites, and say to them, When you take of the children of Israel the tithes which I have given you from them for your inheritance, then you shall offer up an heave offering of it for the LORD, even a tenth part of the tithe. 27 And this your heave offering shall be reckoned to you, as though it were the corn of the threshing floor, and as the fullness of the wine press. 28 Thus you also shall offer an heave offering to the LORD of all your tithes, which you receive of the children of Israel; and you shall give thereof the LORD's heave offering to Aaron the priest. 29 Out of all your gifts you shall offer every heave offering of the LORD, of all the best thereof, even the hallowed part thereof out of it.
But, whatever the form of praise, praise has no spiritual meaning, if the most important praise is not happening, which is to PRAISE GOD WITH OUR OWN LIVES.
A person praises God with his own life, when he demonstrates:
» HIS FAITHFULNESS TO GOD.
» LOVE TO GOD ABOVE ALL THINGS.
» EFFORT TO DO GOD'S WILL.
» SERVING GOD WITH DEDICATION AND LOVE.
» GRATITUDE TO GOD.
» SUBMISSION TO GOD.
» THE INCESSANT SEARCH FOR SANCTIFICATION.
» FAITH IN GOD.
TRULY PRAISING GOD means having a LIFE CONSECRATED TO GOD, practicing what many say only "by mouth" and not with their attitudes: THAT JESUS IS THE LORD.
John 4:23 But the hour comes, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeks such to worship him. 24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.
The Lord bless you and keep you.
Pastor Val Martins